Consistory: Minutes June 21, 2021

Meeting Opened:  at 7:05 p.m.

In Attendance:  Rev. Heather Kurtz, Minda H., Betsy B., Roger B., Debra S., Tom D., Cindy B. – recording secretary.  The Treasurer could not attend in any way due to bad storms and cell phones restricted to emergency use.

Opening Devotions:   Tom D.

Office Manager’s Report

A motion was made by Roger B. to approve the minutes of the May 17, 2021, meeting and was seconded by Betsy B.  The minutes were approved.

Consistory Secretary’s Report

A stack of thank you cards was anonymously donated.

Treasurer’s Report

General Checking balance as of May 31, 2021                       $126,755.11

General Fund balance                                                              $95,538.85

Income for May                                                                        $15,091.63

Expenses for May                                                                     $16,746.09

Monthly deficit                                                                          ($1,654.46)

 

Although storms precluded personal attendance and cell phone connection by the Treasurer, Consistory used the electronic reports she submitted.  The Edward Jones account saw a gain of $1,539.95; the Lord Abbett fund gained $175.42.  The Matthew 25 Fund saw income of $125.00 with an ending balance of $5,956.75.  As another option for giving, the Treasurer will set up a PayPal account for Zion as a charitable organization which will mean a reduction in the fee from 2.9% to 2.2%.  She will work with Rev. Heather to get a PayPal button on our website and Facebook page.

A motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report was made by Betsy B. and seconded by Minda H.  The motion passed.

Minister’s Activity

(See Consistory Report:  Rev. Heather Kurtz, June 2021, submitted on June 21, 2021.)

Rev. Heather asked for a volunteer reader from the Consistory and Debra S. agreed to be Voice 2 in the Confession for June 27th worship.  Ushers will ask visitors to sign the Visitor Sheet on the credenza in church so Rev. Heather can send them a follow-up email and thank you note.  She is developing welcome packets which will be on the credenza for ushers to give visitors.  They will include brochures on Zion, the UCC, Zion’s Safe Church policy, Sunday School, and popcorn to thank them for ‘poppin’ in.  The Office Manager will print the brochures.  Heather raised the possibility of no Consistory meeting in July which was approved.  If an urgent need to meet arises, an email will be sent about meeting after worship one Sunday.  After a review of current policies, Rev. Heather recommends revisiting all the policies and revising them as well as including a disaster plan should a catastrophe occur where electricity is unavailable.  Consistory members will review the policies in their notebooks before the August meeting.  She also recommended an urgent update of the website to make it more current and attractive.  She has a resource who can give a quote; question to be resolved is who maintains the site once the update is complete.

There was a question about the Community of Practice mentioned in her report.  This is a group of clergy led by a facilitator (Rev. Heather is a trained facilitator).  The group supports the individual members’ accountability and spiritual lives, holds discussions after reading books pertaining to healthy churches and family systems, and provides a space to discuss issues facing churches.

In other notes, Rev. Tom Lush has agreed to provide emergency coverage if Heather is not available.  Cindy will send out an email to that effect to members.  The Altar Guild will be meeting with Rev. Heather and instituting some changes in their duties.

Ministry Reports 

(See Ministry Reports, June 21, 2021.)

Property reports the parking lot project will be done the week of June 28th.  There was a suggestion to put a 2-inch layer of concrete and epoxy on the cement sidewalk which would be a maintenance function and not require a permit.  Roger B. is meeting with C.E. Williams and Ron C.about this on June 24th and to see how the quote can be adjusted.  ACNB employees may park behind Zion House while the project is ongoing.  The final bill from Ketterman Electric for rewiring the chandelier lights in the sanctuary has been sent to the Treasurer for payment.  Cindy will look into purchasing a private property sign for the parking lot on Amazon.

Those watching worship via YouTube are still experiencing interference during music.  This might be a problem with the music software.

Personnel is pursuing employee evaluation forms and also searching for a new organist/choir director.  Cindy will contact a person in Littlestown who might have a recommendation.  Another possibility is Bill S. who recently retired.

Fellowship is holding hot dog roasts behind Zion House on the last Sunday of the month in June, July, and August.  Rev. Heather will post on Facebook, and it will be in the bulletin and newsletter.  Debra is looking into a possible show at the Totem Pole in August.

The Mission Committee is holding a Bake Sale on August 1st at McDannell’s Fruit Market which will be publicized in the bulletins, newsletter and on Facebook.

A motion to accept both the Ministry Reports and Minister’s Activity Report was made by Roger B. and seconded by Betsy B.  The motion passed.

OLD BUSINESS

Incorporation of Zion UCC:   Jay should have information from Attorney Matt Battersby for the August meeting.

NEW BUSINESS

UACT Youth Minister budget line: Consistory needs more information about the possible candidate for this position and exactly what that ministry will entail.  At the last UACT meeting, details were vague.

PayPal Account: Discussed in Treasurer’s Report above.

Borough water rate increase:  The borough has announced an increase in rates to help pay for the replacement of 40-year-old water lines.  The Finance Committee will need to take this into consideration for budgetary planning.

Fireproof Safe:  The possibility of a fire-proof safe to store important documents was raised.  Rev. Heather and Cindy will check what is stored beneath the altar to evaluate this need.  Digitizing important files was also mentioned.

Informational:  Larger print songs were requested for the bulletin.  Cindy will ask Craig to contact the Covid Task Force about putting hymnals and Bibles back in pews.

ADJOURNMENT

A motion to adjourn was made by Tom D. at 8:57 p.m. and seconded by Roger B.  The next regular consistory meeting will be on August 16, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. at Zion House.