Consistory: Minutes March 30, 2020

In Attendance:
Rev. George Heberling, Minda H., Debra S., Craig L., Wayne B., Bob V., Tom D., Jay J.

Opening Prayer: The meeting opened at 7:00 p.m. with prayer by Pastor George

New Business:

Service Schedule:

In compliance with the Penn Central Conference recommendation, Governor Wolf’s “stay at home” order, and the federal government “stay at home” recommendation, Palm Sunday and Easter services are cancelled, and a letter will be sent to members advising of the same. An Easter sunrise service had been contemplated, but discussion by the UACT pastors determined that the risk of members, in their excitement to see friends, of violating the 6 feet of separation would be too great. Once the orders are lifted and we can worship together, Pastor George intends to hold an Easter sunrise service and/or other Easter service during May. Another letter with updates will likely sent in mid-April.

UACT has also asked that member churches ring their church bells at 9:00 a.m. on Easter Sunday. Minda H. has volunteered to do that for Zion.

In light of the cancellation of services for Easter, Cindy will contact Donna M. and discuss how to proceed with Easter flowers ordered by members. They will determine if one, the florist has the flowers to be picked up/delivered that Saturday, and, two, if members still want them. If we are able to get the flowers and members want them, we may make them available in the church parking lot on Holy Saturday for drive-by pickup. Another option offered by Minda H. is to have the flowers at APM for pickup Friday, providing that business is still open. Cindy will let the Consistory know what has been decided.

Giving Options:

A proposed letter to the Congregation regarding cancellation of services for the next two weeks and options for continued giving will be sent out by U.S. mail on Thursday, Apr. 2nd. It will include an EFT form for any member choosing to use that option. Debra and Kim J. will assist Cindy in stuffing the envelopes for mailing.

Miscellaneous Items:

It was decided to wait to announce cancellation of the Totem Pole Playhouse outing in case it can still happen. Debra will seek clarification from Totem Pole.

Wayne will contact David at HolyCow! Consulting and reschedule the April 23rd meeting with Consistory and the Profile Committee for some time in May.

Pastor George is going to join Zoom and host the next Consistory meeting which will be Monday, April 6 at 7:00 p.m. Consistory members should look for his invitation in their email.

With an eye toward effective stewardship of resources, Jay will contact Treasurer Kathy J. and compile a list of the minimum monthly expenses so Consistory can determine how to proceed with limited funding. Penn Central Conference has sent information about available loans for churches during this crisis which might offer an option if Zion has trouble meeting obligations.

Cindy will send an email blast about cancellation of the spring work day, but ask that anyone with a little time on their hands and interested in doing some of the outside work on their own please contact Bob V. so he can coordinate efforts.

Pastor George will contact Bill S. about possibly recording a modified church service and ways to disseminate it to members.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:33 p.m.